The National Action Group for LGBTI+ Traveller & Roma Rights is a collective that aims to increase the promotion, protection, inclusion and celebration of LGBTI+ Traveller and Roma individuals and their families - within their communities and within Traveller & Roma and LGBTI+ organisations and services.
What is intersectionality
We inform about and promote awareness for the intersectional experience of LGBTI+ Traveller & Roma. Intersectionality refers to the fact that multiple affiliation with marginalised groups lead to an experience of overlapping and reinforcing discrimination and prejudice.
LGBTI+ Travellers and Roma often face homophobia, anti-Traveller and anti-Roma racism and a combination of the two in their own communities, the LGBTI+ community & the wider society.
For example, an LGBTI+ Traveller or Roma may encounter racism by the LGBTI+ community & may encounter exclusion and prejudice by the Traveller or Roma community for being LGBTI+ & be discrimintaed against by the wider society for both simultaneously.
Governance & Membership
The Steering Committee consists of representatives from the LGBTI+ Traveller & Roma community, the Traveller & Roma communities, national, regional and local Traveller & Roma organisations and services and LGBTI+ organisations and services.
The Membership consists of
- LGBTI+ Traveller & Roma individuals
- Traveller & Roma individuals
- Traveller & Roma organisations and services
- LGBTI+ organisations and services
- Other Human Rights related organisations and services.
If you are interested in becoming a member, please write us an email.
If you are an individual not affiliated with the LGBTI+ Traveller & Roma community, the Traveller or Roma communities or an organisation, but you want to support us: Become an ally and find out more.
Saying Good Bye to our Key Worker
Unfortunately, for the moment we will no longer have a Key Worker working for the National Action Group for LGBTI+ Traveller & Roma Rights, but we are determined to re-install such a position as soon as possible and we will keep you updated.
In the meantime, you can contact us via email.
The Steering Committee
- Oein DeBhairdúin (he/him)
Individuals & Politicians
- Senator Eileen Flynn (she/her)
Representatives of Traveller organisations & services
- John Paul Collins, Pavee Point Traveller and Roma Centre (he/him)
- Maria Carnicer, Exchange House Ireland National Travellers Service (she/her)
- Vacant, Irish Traveller Movement
- Bridget Kelly, National Traveller Women's Forum Ireland (she/her)
- Alan Hanley, Tallaght Travellers Community Development Project (he/him)
Representatives of LGBTI+ organisations & services
- Collette O'Regan, LGBT Ireland (she/her)
- Ruth Illingworth, LOOK (she/her)
- Sam Blanckensee, Transgender Equality Network Ireland (they/them)